[Maxima] Greek letters and variables

Lars Jensen jensen at physics.unr.edu
Wed May 9 12:00:10 CDT 2007

In maxima with the wxmaxima front end, I can define greek letter
variables like alpha by using

%alpha

If greek fonts are enabled in the configuration of wxmaxima this
produces the greek symbol alpha in the output.

If I try

%alpha1

I do not get the greek symbol followed by 1, but I get literally %alpha1
in the output. How do I produce a variable that looks like the greek
alpha symbol immediately followed by the number 1? -Or even better how
do I produce a variable that looks like the greek alpha symbol with a
subscript 1?

Thanks,
Lars.