[Maxima] Gaussian Elimination Help

Alexey Beshenov al at beshenov.ru
Mon Aug 11 01:45:07 CDT 2008

On Monday 11 August 2008 10:06:23 Angelique Sta maria wrote:
> How do you program Gaussian Elimination in Maxima?
> Can you please guide me doing the program?

Check the first sections of the Maxima Manual as well as sections on matrices,
function definition, and program flow.

If you just need to solve linear equations,
check 'solve', 'linsolve', 'fast_linsolve', etc.

> How do you solve for the x's (variables) using backward substitution in
> gaussian elimination?

See a linear algebra textbook.

x_n = b_n,
x_{n-1} = b_{n-1} - a_{n-1,n} x_n
x_{n-2} = b_{n-2} - a_{n-2,n} x_n - a_{n-2,n-1} x_{n-1}

In case of elimination with full pivoting, apply a corresponding inverse
permutation for x_1, x_2, ..., x_n.

Pungenday, Bureaucracy 4, 3174 YOLD
Alexey Beshenov http://beshenov.ru/