[Maxima] segmentation fault with Maxima/ECL

Stavros Macrakis macrakis at alum.mit.edu
Wed Sep 3 09:54:22 CDT 2008

Which of our Lisp implementations support > 63 function arguments?  I know
GCL does not.  If the most important platforms do not support > 63 function
arguments, we should probably (alas) inherit that limitation in Maxima,
explicitly prohibiting > 63 arguments in mapply so that Maxima code will be
portable between platforms.

In almost all cases where people are using apply with a large number of
arguments, the function is associative, and xreduce does the right thing.
We should be encouraging the use of xreduce.

         -s