[Maxima] multiple versions of maxima
pbowyer at olynet.com
Fri Mar 20 23:58:29 CDT 2009
Jaime Villate wrote:
> On Sáb, 2009-03-21 at 00:34 +0000, Jaime Villate wrote:
>>> It looks like I'm starting the correct version of maxima, but no
>>> communication is occurring between maxima and xmaxima. Is there yet
>>> another parameter I need to include to correct this behavior?
>> Oops! There is a bug indeed. This used to work but now I get the same
>> error you get: it only works with the latest version. I will
>> what's going on.
> I've found the source of the bug:
> Up to version 5.17.1, Maxima's "server" used to be called with a
> maxima -r ":lisp (start-server 4008)"
> but since a couple of months ago it is now been called with:
> maxima -r ":lisp (start-client 4008)"
> When you call the latest version, it works with "start-client" but when
> you attempt to call a previous version the same command "start-client"
> That will be easy to fix: I'll do it over the weekend.
> If you want, you can do a quick fix yourself:
> Copy /usr/local/bin/xmaxima to another file such
> as /usr/local/bin/xmaxima-old
> Then edit that file (it is a plain text script) and replace the two
> places where start-client occurs by start-server
> You can then use "/usr/local/bin/xmaxima-old -u 5.17.1" to start that
> version, or older ones, and: "/usr/local/bin/xmaxima" to start the
> latest version.
> Thank you very much for reporting this bug!
> I'd be interested to receive any feedback from your comparison between
> wxmaxima and xmaxima so I can try to improve xmaxima.
I tried your quick fix, but the xmaxima file I have in /usr/local/bin
already has "start-server" in the two places you mentioned should have
"start-client." I did as you suggested and created "xmaxima-old" and
tried editing the two values to "start-client" just to see if it might
work, but without success. I still get the same output as before. I
noticed from the surrounding code that it seemed to be for Windows in at
least one place, but I'm running PCLinuxOS-2009.1.
Also, the version of maxima I'm trying to start by issuing xmaxima -u
5.17.1 is supposed to be the latest release. The older version I'm
trying to avoid is maxima-5.13.0 (which came with sage) and it is
located in /usr/bin, which comes earlier in my PATH variable. I don't
want to rearrange the search order in my PATH variable because it might
break something else.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like you need to
look a little deeper for the solution.
Thanks for the quick response to my dilemma,
More information about the Maxima