WHERE CAN I FIND INFORMATION ON
UNDERGRADUATE CONFERENCE, RESEARCH, SUMMER, AND INTERNSHIP PROGRAMS?
I am not able
to keep all of the information on this page up to date, but hope it can
still give you a start in searching the web for summer and internship
possibilities. Also be sure to check the bulletin board across from RLM
10.132, and register with the Natural Sciences Career Services (fourth
- List of statistics-related
summer Research Experiences for Undergraduates. (Some links outdated, some current.)
- The American Mathematical Society's list of Research Experiences for Undergraduates Summer Programs.
- The Mathematical Association of America's list of Research Experiences for Undergraduate Summer Programs. They also have a few more summer programs listed here (scroll down to Summer Programs)
- Attend the 2009 Natural Sciences Spring Career Fair, Thursday, February 5, 2009, from 10 am to 3 pm, Rec Sports Center.
- Register with the Natural
Sciences Career Services to receive announcements of
internships as they become available. Contact Laura Mondino at email@example.com
for more information.
- Check out the Current Deadlines section of the American Mathematical Society's Headlines and Deadlines for Students.
- American Statistical Association List of
Internship Opportunities Most internships listed are
for graduate students, but there are several available for
undergraduates. Some are restricted to U.S. citizens.
- Amgen Scholars Summer research program. U.S. citizens and permanent residents only.
Summer opportunities for college students to teach in a program to help
disadvantaged students prepare for college. Application
deadline for summer 2007 is March 5, 2007.
- Carleton College Summer Math Program for Women.
Applications materials for Summer 2007 must be received by February 22. Applicants should be finishing their first
or second year in college and have completed calculus and linear
algebra by summer.
- Energy Information Administration paid summer internship. 2009 deadline February 27.
- UT Campus Environmental Center. Links to unpaid volunteer and paid internships (which have deadline Friday, January 19, 2007.)
UT Austin's online clearinghouse of research information and
opportunities for undergraduates at UT Austin. Includes information on
getting involved in research, including a list (searchable by topic) of
might be interested in supervising undergraduate list.
- Federal Reserve Board Economic Research Division Internships (Click on or scroll down to Project Internships and Unpaid Internships). April 1 deadline for summer internships.
- Fordham University Summer in the City Program
2007 application deadlines February 1 and March 15.
- George Washington University Summer Program
Women in Mathematics 2008
application deadline February 29.
Change Education Program Summer Undergraduate Research Experience. Application
deadline for Summer, 2007 is February 5. U.S. citizens only.
- Harvard School of Public Health Summer Program
in Quantitative Sciences. Applicants must be
US citizens or permanent residents from a qualified underrepresented
minority group. 2004 application deadline
- IAESTE Internship Placements.
Paid summer internships abroad in industry, research institutes,
universities, consulting firms, labs, and other work environments.
Application fee required. Application
deadline January 1.
- Industrial Mathematics and Statistics Program. Application
deadline February 27, 2009
- Interdisciplinary Computational Thinking and Plant Biology Research Program for Undergraduates Application deadline Feb. 1, 2009.
- Mathematical Association of America list of
- Mathematical Biosciences Institute Summer Program in Mathematical Biology for Undergraduates
and Theoretical Biology Institue (University of Arizona) Institute for
Strengthining the Understanding of Mathematics and Sciences
Eight week summer research exeprience fo undergraduates preparing
students interested in graudate work at the interface of mathematics,
statistics, and the natural sciences. Deadline March 1.
- Mayo Clinic Biostatistics Summer Internships. Application deadline February 2.
Leland Environmental Internship Program. Summer internships for
minorities, women, and economically disadvantaged students pursuing
environmental, engineering, science-related, and public administration
careers. Must have completed 60 undergraduate hours. February deadline.
- Microsoft Intern
- MIT Lincoln Labs Undergraduate Research Program. U.S. citizenship required.
- NASA Academy U.S. citizens or residents. Application
deadline January 15, 2008
- NASA Langley Aerospace Research Summer Scholars. Application
deadline February 1, 2009.
- NASA Undergraduate Student Research Program Open to rising juniors or seniors.
be U.S. citizens. Application deadlines: January 23 for Summer 2009; March 6 for Fall 2009.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology Summer Undergraduate Research Program. See both http://www.msel.nist.gov/surf.html and http://www.surf.nist.gov/respr.htm Application Deadline for
the 2009 Summer program is expected to be Feb. 17, 2009.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Research
Experience for Undergraduates (REU) sites- Mathematicals Sciences. May be
only to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Also look at the Biology REU sites for programs involvinh bioinformatics, mathematical biology, neroscience, or biostatistics.
- Naval Research Enterprise Intern Program (NREIP). Opportunities
for students to participate in research at a Department of Navy (DoN)
laboratory during the summer. U.S. citizens (or permanent residents for
some labs) only. Applications for 2008 due January 14, 2008.
- Nebraska Conference for Undergraduate Women in
(February 6 - 8, 2004. Registration deadline:
January 21, 2005.)
summer undergraduate research opportunities in the mathematical
- Ohio State University Research Experience for
Program in Applied Statistics and Biostatistics. 2004
application deadline April 2.
- Park City Mathematics Institute. 2004 application
deadline February 15.
- Population Research Center Research
Opportunities for Undergraduates (UT Austin) . This
website also has information about the Bridging Disciplines program in
Population and Public Policy, the Research Experience for
Undergraduates Summer Institute in Minority Group Demography (Application deadline February 11, 2005),
and the EUREKA program for undergraduate research.
- Proctor and Gamble Research Your Future in Science Seminar For students completing their first or second year in college. Deadline April 1.
- Public Health Internships
For Juniors, Seniors, and non-degree students who have completed a
bachelor's degree. Must be U.S. citizen. Biology prerequisite.
- Quantitative and Physical Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program (QP-SURF), UT Southwestern Medical Center.
- Rice University Summer
Institute for Statistics
- Significant Opportunities in Atmospheric Research and Science (SOARS) Resetricted to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. SOARS encourages applications from students who are
members of a group that is historically under-represented in the
atmospheric and related sciences, including students who are Black or
African American, American Indian or Alaskan Native, and Hispanic or
Latino, female, first generation college students, and students with
disabilities; have experienced, and worked to overcome, educational or economic
disadvantage; and/or have personal or family circumstances that may
complicate their continued progress in research careers. SOARS welcomes lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender
students. 2009 application deadline February 1.
- Southwest Research Institute.
An independent, nonprofit, applied engineering and physical sciences
research and development organization in San Antonio. Offers some
full-time summer jobs for students with skills applicable to current
- Statistical and
Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute Two Day
Undergraduate Workshop (February 18 - 19, 2005; applications
submitted before January 18 will be given full consideration). Students
should have completed M 378K and at least started M 427K. In choosing
applicants, the students will be ranked according to their interest,
compatibility, and potential for
grad school (GPA). There is no workshop fee. SAMSI will pay for
lodging, reimburse students for transportation to and from the workshop
and provide meals during the workshop. Non-local participants will have
a per diem for a Thursday night meal.
- Statistical and Applied
Mathematical Sciences Institute Summer Undergraduate
Workshop (May 30 - June 3, 2005; applications will be considered
starting February 15, 2005 and continuing until all participant
openings are filled.)
- Summer Institute for Training in Biostatistics.
Three programs for undergraduate math or statistics majors, all
sponsored by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood institute. Restricted
to U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Application deadlines for summer 2009 are March 6. Programs are at Boston University, North Carolina State University-Duke Clinical Research Institute, and the University of Wisconsin.
- Summer Institute on Atmospheric and
Hydrospheric Sciences . 2004 application deadline
- Summer Undergraduate Mathematical Science
(SUMSRI). Especially interested in women and underrepresented
minorities. Not open to international students. 2009 application
deadline March 1.
- Teach for America has
internships for math and science graduates who are part of the
for America corps. For a list of participating organizations see
- Tech-Interns.com Includes a searchable database of
research and internship opportunities for undergraduates and graduate
students in math, science, and engineering. Doesn't have a search on
statistics, but try the one on math.
- Texas A&M Research Experience for
in Matrix/Wavelet Analysis and in Mathematics of Ecology, including
statistical modeling of populations. Restricted to U.S. citizens or
permanent residents. 2004 application
deadline March 1.
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality Internship Program. Year round internships for undergraduates and graduate students.
- Texas Environmental Fellowship Program
- U.S. Census Bureau Student Interns
US citizens only. Application deadline May 1,
- U.S. Department of Agriculture/National
Agricultural Statistics Service often has Agricultural Statistician Internships available at the Texas Field Office (in Austin) and in other locations. At least two of our students have held these internships.
- U.S. Department of Energy Student Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI)
- UCLA Research in Industrial Projects for
deadline February 15, 2004.
Summer Program in Statistics
deadline April 15, 2005
- University of Nebraska
Research Experience for Undergraduates Program in Applied Mathematics.
2004 application deadline March 15.
- University of Nebraska list of Research
Experience for Undergraduate programs, Other Summer Programs, Etc.
- UT Austin Research Experience for
Undergraduates 2004 topic is Topology and
Geometry in Biology. Application deadline for 2004
is April 15.
- UT in DC Internship Semesters.
Application deadline for 2004 - 2005 is
- UT Applied Research Laboratories
(May require U.S. citizenship.)
- UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Science Park Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP). Deadline for Summer 2009 is February 28, 2009.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Summer
Program in Computational Biology and Biostatistics. Applicants must be U.S.
or permanent residents. Members of an underrepresented minority
American, Hispanic, Native American, Southeast Asian, Native Alaskan or
Pacific Islander) are encouraged to apply. Application deadline February 15,