Fall 2014 M408R
Tentative Course Schedule
(Last revised October 1)
Main units of the course.
- The SIR model and Euler's method. Aug 27-September 12
- Derivatives and differention rules. Sept 15-Oct 6.
- Exponentials, logs, and models of growth. Oct 8-29
- Integrals. Oct 31-November 14
- Anti-derivatives and integration methods. November 17-December 5.
- First midterm on Wednesday September 24
- Second midterm on Friday October 24
- Third midterm on Friday November 21
- Final exam, Friday December 12, 9-12.
Rhythm of the class
- On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays we will usually be going over new
material. The Learning Module for each section of the book
(also known as a pre-class
assignment) is due at midnight the night before we begin that material,
so that you're well-prepared for our activities in lecture.
- On most Tuesdays and Thursdays you will spend your time doing worksheets
in groups. The titles of the worksheets are listed below. These worksheets
should be turned in at the end of class.
- There are occasional individual homeworks (IH) and mini-projects (MP).
The due dates are listed below.
- Week 1, August 27-29: SIR Model and Euler's Method
- Wednesday: Introduction. What is calculus?
- Thursday: Spread of disease.
- Friday: Section 1.1
- Week 2, September 1-5: SIR Model and Euler's Method
- Week 3, September 8-12: SIR Model and Euler's Method
- Week 4, September 15-19: Derivatives and differentiation rules
- Week 5, September 22-26: Derivatives and differentiation rules
- Monday: Section 3.5
- Tuesday: Review for first midterm
- Wednesday: First midterm exam
Differentiation practice. (If you miss class for
Rosh Hashanna and let me know in advance, you can do the worksheet over the weekend and turn it in
- Friday: Go over exam
- Week 6, September 29 - October 3: Derivatives and differentiation rules
- Week 7, October 6-10:
- Week 8, October 13-17: Exponentials, logs, and models of growth
- Week 9, October 20-24: Exponentials, logs, and models of growth
- Monday: Section 4.2.
- Wednesday: Review. IH 5 due.
- Thursday: Exam review.
- Friday: Second midterm exam
- Week 10, October 27-31: Integrals
- Week 11, November 3-7: Integrals
- Week 12, November 10-14: Integrals and Anti-derivatives
- Monday: Section 6.4
Boulder, Colorado flood
- Wednesday: More Section 6.4.
- Thursday: TBD
- Friday: Section 11.1
- Week 13, November 17-21: Anti-derivatives and integration methods
- Week 14, November 24-28: Anti-derivatives and integration methods
- Monday: Section 11.2 continued
- Tuesday: Go over exam
- Wednesday: No class
- Thursday: Thanksgiving. No class.
- Friday: No class.
- Week 15, December 1-5: Anti-derivatives and integration methods
- Friday, December 12, 9AM-Noon: Final exam.