I am a fifth-year graduate student at the University of Texas at
Austin under the direction of Alan Reid. My research interests
include hyperbolic 3-manifolds, cubical geometry, mapping class
groups, and geometric group theory. In particular, I am interested
in analogies between surface topology/geometry (the mapping class
group, Teichmuller space, the curve complex, etc.) and the
corresponding objects in the study of Out(Fn).
Beginning Fall 2014, I will be an NSF postdoctoral fellow and Gibbs
Assistant Professor at Yale University, under Yair Minsky.
My email address is staylor AT math DOT utexas DOT edu.
- Hyperbolic extensions of free groups. With Spencer Dowdall.
Preprint, 2014. PDF. Arxiv Link
- Convex cocompactness and stability in mapping class groups.
With Matt Durham. Preprint, 2014. PDF.
- Small intersection numbers in the curve graph. With Tarik
Aougab. To appear in Bull. London Math. Soc., 2013. PDF. Arxiv Link
- A note on subfactor projections. To appear in Algebraic and
Geometric Topology, 2013. PDF. Arxiv Link
- Products of Farey graphs are totally geodesic in the pants
graph. With Alex Zupan. Submitted, 2013. PDF. Arxiv Link
- Convex cocompactness in mapping class groups via
quasiconvexity in right-angled Artin groups. With Johanna
Mangahas. Submitted, 2013. PDF.
- Right-angled Artin groups and Out(F_n) I: quasi-isometric
embeddings. To appear in Groups, Geometry, and Dynamics, 2013. PDF. Arxiv Link
- The Jones polynomial and boundary slopes of alternating
knots. With Cynthia Curtis. Journal of Knot Theory and Its
Ramifications, 2011. Arxiv
- The spiral index of knots. With Colin Adams et al. Math.
Proc. of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, 2010. Arxiv Link
Please email me if you have any questions/comments or if you'd like
to see a copy of my research statement or CV.