Karen K. Uhlenbeck
Born: August 24, 1942, Cleveland, Ohio
Ph.D. Brandeis University (Ph.D advisor: Richard Palais) 1968
M.A. Brandeis University 1966
B.S. University of Michigan 1964
American Mathematical Society
Mathematical Association of America
National Association of Mathematicians
Association for Women in Mathematics
- l997-98 Distinguished Visiting Professor, Institute for Advanced
- 1995 Member, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton
- 1992 Visitor, Mathematics Research Centre, Warwick University,
- 1987-88 Visiting Professor and Sid W. Richardson Foundation
in Mathematics, University of Texas at Austin
- 1987 Visitor, IHES, Bures-Sur-Yvette, France
- 1986 Visiting Professor, University of California, San Diego
- 1983-88 Professor, University of Chicago
- 1985 Visiting Professor, Max-Planck-Institut für Mathematik, Bonn
- 1983 Visiting Professor, Harvard University
- 1982 Visiting Member, Mathematical Sciences Research Institute,
- 1979-80 Member, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton
- 1979 Chancellor's Distinguished Visiting Professor, University of
- 1977-83 Associate Professor, Professor, University of Illinois,
- 1976 Visiting Associate Professor, Northwestern University
- 1971-76 Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, University of
- 1969-71 Lecturer, University of California, Berkeley
- 1968-69 Instructor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 2002-2006 Harrington Fellowship Committee, University of Texas
- 2000 National Academy of Science, Class Membership Committee
- l998- Visiting Committee, Stanford University
- l997-98 National Academy of Science, Synposium on Women in Science
1996- Visiting Committee,
Massachusetts Institute for Technology
1995-98 Waterman Award Committee,
1994-95 American Mathematical
Society, Colloquium Committee
Program for Women in Mathematics, Institute
Advanced Study, Organizer of yearly 10-day program
1990-97 Institute for
Advanced Study/Park City Mathematics Institute
its predecessor, Regional Geometry Institute), Steering
1993-99 Alfred P. Sloan
Foundation, Research Fellowships in Mathematics
1993-94 National Research Council, Board on Mathematics Sciences
Department of Energy, Review of Applied Mathematical Sciences
Program, Panel on Mathematical Physics, Chair
1992 Panel to Select
Presidential Secondary Mathematics
Research Council, Committee on Women in Science a
1990- Mathematics Education
Reform Network (MER), Trustee
- 1990-91 National Research Council, Committee to Assess Graduate
Education in Mathematics
- 1990-91 Committee on Education for Super-Conducting Super Collider
- 1990-91 American Mathematical Society, Satter Prize Committee
- 1988-90 American Mathematical Society, Gibbs Lecturer Committee
- 1987-90 American Mathematical Society, Vice-President
- 1983-86 Institute for Mathematics and Applications, Minneapolis,
of Governors (Chairman, 1985-86)
- 1983-90 Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, Trustee
- 1983-85 American Mathematical Society, Program Committee
- 1980 National Science Foundation, Advisory Committee on Other
Modes of Support
- 1979-81 American Mathematical Society, Nominating Committee,
- 1978-82 American Mathematical Society Council, Elected
- 1978-80 Association for Women in Mathematics, Committee to Select
- 1977-80 American Mathematical Society, Fellowship Committee
- 1977-79 American Mathematical Society, Committee to Select
- 1976-79 National Science Foundation, Advisory Committee for
and Computer Sciences, Mathematics Subpanel
- 1976-77 American Mathematical Society, Committee on Committees
- 1992-99 Communications in Analysis and Geometry, Associate Editor
- 1991-97 Calculus of Variations and Partial Differential
- 1991-2005 Journal of Knot Theory, Associate Editor
- 1991-97 Houston Journal of Mathematics, Editorial Board
- 1989-94 Journal of Mathematical Physics, Editorial Board
- 1988-91 Journal of Differential Geometry, Associate Editor
- 1987-90 Ergebnisse der Mathematik, Editorial Board
- 1986-91 Journal of the American Mathematical Society, Editorial
- 1983- Communications in Partial Differential Equations, Editorial
- 1980-86 Illinois Journal of Mathematics, Editorial Board
- 1979-81 Journal of Differential Geometry, Editorial Board
1994-2006 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
1993 University of Arizona
1992 University of Michigan
1990 University of Utah
1989 Ohio State University
1989 University of Pennsylvania
Awards and Honorary Societies
2007 Steele Prize, Amercian
2004 Honorary Degree: Doctor
of Science; University of Michigan
2001 National Medal of Science
2001 Honaray Degree: Doctor
Of Science: University of Ohio
2000 National Medal of Science
2000 Honorary Degree: Doctor
of Science, University of Illinois,
1995 CommonWealth Award for Science
- 1988 Alumni Achievement Award, Brandeis University
- 1988 Honorary Degree: Doctor of Science, Knox College, Illinois
- 1986 National Academy of Sciences, Fellow
- 1985 American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Fellow
- 1984 Alumna of the Year, University of Michigan
- 1983-88 MacArthur Prize Fellowship
- 1979-80 Albert Einstein Fellow, Institute for Advanced Study,
- 1974-76 Sloan Foundation Fellowship
- 1964-68 National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship
- 1964-65 Woodrow Wilson Fellow
- 1964 Phi Beta Kappa
Bonita Driscoll, Northwestern University, June 1978
Robert Lockhart, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, June 1979
Steven Sedlacek, Northwestern University, June 1982
Louis Crane, University of Chicago, August 1985
Caio Negreiros, University of Chicago, June 1987
Steven Bradlow, University of Chicago, August 1988
Georgios Daskalopoulos, University of Chicago, August 1989
Antonella Marini, University of Chicago, August 1990
Jonathan Poritz, University of Chicago, August 1992
Johan Råde, University of Texas at Austin, August 1991
James Wade McDonald, University of Texas at Austin, August 1993
Brendon Guilfoyle University of Texas at Austin, December l996
Jay Handfield, University of Texas at Austin, May l998
Fergus O"Dea University of Texas at Austin, may 2000
Mark Haskins, University of Texas at Austin, May 2000
Alexandre Goncalves, University of Texas at Austin, May 2003
Andre Mandolesi, University of Texas at Austin, Dec 2002
- Regularity Theorems for solutions of elliptic polynomial
Math. Soc., Symposium in Pure Math. XVI (1970), 225-231.
- Morse theory on Banach manifolds, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc.,
- Integrals with nondegenerate critical points, Bull. Amer.
- Harmonic maps; a direct method in the calculus of
Amer. Math. Soc., 76(1970), 1082-1087.
- Morse theory on Banach manifolds, J. Funct. Anal.,
- Bounded sets and Finsler structures of manifolds of maps,
Geom., 7(1972), 589-599.
- Eigenfunctions of Laplace operators, Bull. Amer. Math.
- Lorentz geometry, global analysis and its applications,
Center for Theoretical Physics, Trieste (1972), 235-42.
- The Morse index theorem in Hilbert space, J. Diff. Geom.,
- A new proof of a regularity theorem for elliptic systems,
Math. Soc., 37(1973), 315-316.
- Morse theory for geodesics on a Lorentz manifold, Topology,
- Generic properties of Eigenfunctions, Amer. J. Math.,
- Regularity for a class of non-linear elliptic equations,
- (with J. Sacks) The existence of minimal immersions of
Bull. Amer. Math. Soc., 83(1977), 1033-1036.
- Removeable singularities in Yang-Mills fields, Bull. Amer.
Soc., 1(New Series, 1979), 112-114.
- (with J. Sacks) The existence of minimal immersions of
Ann. of Math., 113(1981), 1-24.
- Morse theory by perturbation methods with applications to
maps, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., 267(1981), 569-583.
- Variational problems for gauge fields, Seminar on
S. T. Yau (ed.), Princeton University Press (1982), 455-464.
- Removeable singularities in Yang-Mills fields, Comm. Math.
- Connections with
bounds on curvature, Comm. Math. Phys., 83(1982), 31-42.
- Equivariant harmonic maps into spheres, Proceedings of the
Conference on Harmonic Maps, Knill, Kalka and Sealey (eds.), Lecture
in Mathematics 949, Springer-Verlag (1982), 146-158.
- (with J. Sacks) Minimal immersions of closed Riemann
Amer. Math. Soc., 271(1982), 639-652.
- (with R. Schoen) A regularity theory for harmonic maps, J.
Geom., 17(1982), 307-335.
- Minimal spheres and other conformal variational problems,
on Minimal Submanifolds, E. Bombieri (ed.), Princeton University Press
- Closed minimal surfaces in hyperbolic 3-manifolds, Seminar
Submanifolds, E. Bombieri (ed.), Princeton University Press (1983),
- Boundary regularity and Dirichlet Problem for harmonic
Geom., 18(1983), 253-268.
- Conservation laws and their application in Global
in Srinivasan and Sally (eds.), Emmy Noether in Bryn Mawr (1983),
- Regularity of minimizing harmonic maps into spheres,
- Variational problems for Gauge fields, Proceedings of the
Congress of Mathematics, August 16-24, 1983, Warsaw (1984), 613-619.
- The Chern classes of Sobolev connections, Comm. Math.
- (with S.-T. Yau) On the existence of Hermitian Yang-Mills
in stable bundles, Comm. Pure Appl. Math., 39(1986), S257-S297.
- Commentary on Analysis in the Large, in A Century of
in America, Part II, Peter Duren (ed.), American Mathematical Society
- Harmonic Maps into Lie Groups (classical solutions of the
model), J. Diff. Geom., 30 (1989), 1-50.
- (with L. M. Sibner, R. J. Sibner) Solutions to Yang-Mills
which are not self-dual, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., 89(1989), 8610-8613.
- Applications of non-linear analysis in topology, Proc. of
Mathematical Society of Japan, 1991, 261-279.
- Instantons and their relatives, Mathematics into the 21st
Browder (ed.), American Mathematical Society (1992), 467-479.
- On the connection between harmonic maps and the self-dual
and the Sine-Gordon equations, J. Geom. Phys., 8(1992), 283-316.
- (with M. Atiyah, et al.) Responses to ``Theoretical
Toward a Cultural Synthesis of Mathematics and Theoretical Physics'',
A. Jaffe and F. Quinn, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (new series), 30(1994),
- (with G. Daskalopoulos) An application of traversality to
of the moduli space of stable bundles, Topology, 34(1995), 203-215.
- (with G. Daskalopoulos and R. Wentworth) Moduli of
holomorphic bundles on Kähler manifolds, Comm. Anal. Geom, 3(1995),
- Moduli spaces and adiabatic limits, Notices of the AMS,
- (with R. Mazzeo and D. Pollack) Connected sum structions
scalar curvature metrics, Topological Methods in Nonlinear Analysis,
- (with R. Mazzeo and D. Pollack) Moduli spaces of singular
metrics, J. Amer. Math. Soc., 9(1996), 303-343.
- (with C.-L. Terng) Poisson Actions and Scattering Theory for
Systems, Survey in Surveys in Differentiable Geometry, vol 4,
International Press (l998).
- (with C.L. Terng) Introduction to the volume "Survey's in
Differential Geometry," Integrable Systems, Volume 4 (2000), 1-5.
- (with C.L. Terng) The Geometry of Solitons (cover article)
Notices of the AMS 47 (2000),17-25.
- (with C L Terng) Backlund Transformations and Loop Group
Actions, Communications in Pure and Applied Mathematics 53 (2000, 1-75.
- (with N.H. Chang and J. Shatah) Schroedinger Maps, Comm. Pure
Appl. Math 53 (2000),590-602.
- (with J. Viaklovsky) Regularity of weak solutions to critical
exponent variational problems, Mathematical Research Letters, I P, vol
7 no 5-6 (2000), 652-656.
- (with A. Nahmod and A. Stefanov) On the well-posedness of
the wave map problem in high dimensions, Comm. Analysis and Geometry,
vol 11, no 1 (2003) 29-83.
- (with A. Nahmod and A Stephanov) On Schroedinger Maps,
Comm. Pure Appl. Math 56 (2003) no 1, 114-151.
- (with C.L. Terng) Wave maps into symmetric spaces,
Comm. Anal. Geom. 12 (2004), no 1-2, 345-388.
- (with C. L. Terng) Schroedinger flows on Grassmannians,
Integrable systems, geometry and topology, 234-256, AMS/IP Stud.
Adv.Math, AMS, Providence (2006), 235-256.
- (with M. Vajiac) Virasoro Actions on harmonic maps, submitted to
- (with C. L. Terng) On Space-time Monopoles.
- (with A. Goncalves) On constant mean curvature embeddings of
surfaces in space forms, To appear in CAG.
- (with D. Freed) Instantons and 4-manifold Topology, Mathematical
Research Institute Lecture Notes, 1, Springer Verlag, 1984.
- (edited) Global Analysis in Modern Mathematics: a Symposium
of Richard Palais' sixtieth birthday. Publish or Perish, 1993.
- (edited with D. Freed) Geometry and Quantum Field Theory,
Mathematical Society, 1995.