Colloquium and Seminars
The Department has a regular colloquium. It also hosts a Distinguished Lecturer Series, which yearly feature some of the world's outstanding mathematicians. As a rule, these individuals remain in residence in the Department for a week or longer, during which time they are available for interaction with local faculty and students.
For graduate students, the Department offers an "Introduction to Research" lecture series, to which the speakers are invited because of their national reputations as fine expositors of mathematics.
Various groups within the Department sponsor regular seminars for faculty and graduate students. Some of these are designed for students with a modest background in the field under study, others target students at a more advanced level.
- Algebra Seminar meets on Tuesdays at 2:00pm.
- Analysis Seminar normally meets on Wednesdays at 1:00pm.
- Dynamical System Seminar meets on Wednesdays at 4:00pm.
- Financial Mathematics meets on Fridays at 3:30pm.
- GADGET Seminar meets on Tuesdays at 12:30pm.
- Geometry Seminar meets on Thursdays at 3:30pm.
- Geometry and String Theory Seminar meets on Wednesdays at 12:00pm.
- Junior Algebra Seminar meets on Mondays at 4:00pm.
- Junior Geometry Seminar meets on Tuesdays at 3:30pm.
- Junior Number Theory Seminar meets on Tuesdays at 2:00pm.
- Junior Topology Seminar meets on Wednesdays at 2:00pm.
- Junior PDE Seminar normally meets on Mondays at 3:00pm.
- Mathematical Physics Seminar meets on Wednesdays at 11:00am.
- Statistics Seminar meets on Mondays at 10:00am.
- Number Theory Seminar meets on Thursdays at 2:00pm
- Numerical Analysis Seminar meets on Fridays at 2:00pm
- Sophex Seminar meets on Fridays at 4:00pm.
- Topology Seminar meets on Mondays at 2:00pm.