« Overview »
WebCalendar is an online group scheduling software that let users stay on top of their
daily appointments, events, projects, meetings, resource reservations and more. With webCalendar,
users can maintain personal and public calendars, reserve resources, schedule group meetings
anywhere on the internet, be it is in offices, onboard an airplane or in a hotel room.
How WebCalendar works
WebCalendar is a CGI application. It runs through a web server. User calendar data is stored and
maintined in real time on your webserver. Therefore, it is mandatory to have a reliable webserver
installed first before installing WebCalendar.
WebCalendar allows you perform many tasks:
- Create and configure private or public calendars.
- Create company wide work groups and private meeting groups.
- Schedule personal appointments, group meetings.
- Manage resources reservations.
- Announce company wide events through a
- Delegate calendar editing or reading priviledge to other users.
- Send event invitations via email.
- Schedule audio/visual/email reminders.
- Publish professionl quality calendars in real time.
- Display free/busy time table, resolve schedule conflicts.
- Manage notes, journals and contact lists.
All calendars are password protected. Access to individual calendar requires
authentication. Furthermore, WebCalendar adopts an event based privacy to
protect individual events. Each event can be tagged as one of
In the first case, the event info is publicly accessible. All users on
the system, include the special anonymous user, can read about the event.
In the second case, other users can only see the event title and event time, additional event
info such as event details, event location etc are hidden from
unauthorized users. In the third case, other users can only see the blocked time for the event.
In the last case, the event is only accessible by the calendar
readers and editors. In all cases the tagged event will participate in group
event conflict checking.
- others see text and time
- others see event title
- others see time only
- others see nothing
Please note that calendar administrators have full access of all event info on
However, diary, contact list and notes are considered private and can be accessed
by authorized users only, normally the calendar owner himself, unless the owner
has chosen to grant access priviledge to others, such as calendar editors or readers or calendar administrators.
Last updated: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:48:52 CST